When I meet with potential students, I love to talk about our educational model at Bodymechanics School of Myotherapy & Massage. Of course, I can only speak to our model since I went to school here, I taught here once I graduated, and ultimately I bought the school.
Our educational model is as follows:
- Advanced theory and techniques that sets our graduates up for success
- Advanced communication skills that encourage graduates to be comfortable talking about their profession as well as their style of work
- Advanced marketing skills – designed to facilitate graduates independence with opening their own clinic utilizing the advanced theory and techniques.
- Advanced critical thinking skills, which help move the massage session beyond a standard massage to one that is meant to not just make the recipient feel better, but to help that person get relief from acute and chronic conditions.
Advanced technique, communication, marketing and critical thinking skills are the cornerstone to our education.
I sat down this morning and had coffee with a graduate from 18 months ago, who is currently working in a spa in the Cascades. This is not typical for our graduates but is definitely what he needed, for many reasons. He described to me how many of his peers in this spa are using the same massage on everyone who walks in the door, regardless of the client’s request.
Meanwhile, our graduate is utilizing techniques he learned at Bodymechanics School and is helping people feel better, gain range of motion and decreasing pain and stiffness – in a spa. His clients LOVE his work! In fact, he spoke of a recent situation where his manager questioned his earning more tips than all other therapists combined for a 1-month period. He has moved beyond simply applying relaxing massage strokes, to actually applying therapeutic strokes with the intention of relieving chronic problems. His coworkers apply the same basic “fluffy” strokes on everyone that walks in regardless of what the client requests.
As we discussed his career since graduation, both he and I agreed that when you remove money from the equation and give clients what they are craving, then money becomes a non-object and people will pay any amount for the treatment.
But, I digress.
Lets get back on track with the Bodymechanics School education model.
Like I said, advanced theory and techniques are the cornerstone to our graduates success. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, and our students often hear while still in school, that their massages “are better than most professionals out there.” Now, that’s a great testament to our student’s skills.
There are several reasons why our model works.
- Our instructors are passionate and are very good at what they teach! Bodymechanics School employs several instructors for each class, guaranteeing our students get a variety of approaches to the problem.
- We offer a layered approach to education, with each class building on the previous class – running concurrently. For example, in Kinesiology you might learn the shoulder muscles in depth and see how they function properly. This class will be followed with the treatment class, and students learn the muscles in dysfunction and how to treat them effectively.
- Small class size guarantees proper instructor to student ratio. At Bodymechanics School, you will never see a class larger than 16 students – ever. This facilitates learning our advanced theory.
- Students are encouraged to participate in our ancillary student clinic that develops skills to build their own practice – before graduation.
- Students have the ability to shadow instructors as they massage their clients.
Like I said earlier, the proof is in the pudding. Our model works very well, as we boast a 100% success rate with the MBLEX certification exam.
Come check us out and see for yourself why we excel. Talk with our students, graduates, instructors and school owner Shari Aldrich and learn more about us. Since 1999, Bodymechanics School of Myotherapy & Massage has been creating exceptional massage therapists and look forward to helping you in your endeavors.